We are excited to partner with Menomonee Valley Partners again this season as we paddle the Menomonee River and explore the river and its canals. We will learn about the history and how this area was vital to Milwaukee’s growth, the unique projects that made it a national model of environmental sustainability, and the exciting developments in the works! A member from Menomonee Valley Partners will lead our trip along with staff from Milwaukee Kayak Company. These trips are safe, fun and educational.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. These trips will be offered three different days this summer and all trips will be similar. We will paddle upriver (and may explore the canals) as far as time allows before turning around and paddling back to our dock.
• Cost: $30 per person; $15 will be donated back to Menomonee Valley Partners*
• Space is limited | online pre-registration required (choose your date)
These trips are organized through a partnership with Milwaukee Kayak Company and Menomonee Valley Partners. Tickets are $30 each, and $15 of each ticket will be donated back to Menomonee Valley Partners.
Dates: (we are offering 3 trips and the format for all will be similar)
#1) Wednesday, June 13th @ 5:15pm-7:45/8pm
#2) Thursday, August 16th @ 5:15pm-7:45/8pm
#3) Monday, September 24th @ 5:15pm-7:45/8pm (Valley Week)
• 5:00-5:15pm: Please arrive to MKC before or at 5:15pm
• 5:15-5:45pm: Introduction, instruction and fitting
• 5:45pm: Launch from our dock
• 7:45/8pm: Arrive back to MKC dock
What to bring:
• Water bottle filled with water
• Small coolers okay
• Dress for the weather – consider bringing a windbreaker (do not wear jeans or heavy cotton)
• A headlamp or two (we have extras)
What we’ll provide:
• Life jacket
• Dry-bag (we have a limited supply available)
• Water, snacks and sunscreen are always on-hand if you forget yours
• Safe and fun atmosphere
• Staff from Menomonee Valley Partners and Milwaukee Kayak Company will paddle with the group.
What to wear:
• Lightweight clothing (do not wear jeans or heavy cotton)
• Sandals, flips or shoes with a thin sole
• Rain jacket/windbreaker
• Sunglasses and/or hat
What to expect:�
We will paddle as a group. We will launch together, paddle upriver as time allows and then paddle back to our dock. These trips are safe, fun and educational. Staff from Menomonee Valley Partners and Milwaukee Kayak Company will paddle with the group.
• We will check you in.
• We will outfit you with the proper kayak, life jacket and paddle.
• We will go over introductions, information and rules of the river.
• Life jackets must be worn at all times when you’re near or on the river.
Please contact Beth at Milwaukee Kayak Company
About the Menomonee Valley:
The Menomonee River extends from the confluence of the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers in Downtown Milwaukee to Miller Park Stadium. The Menomonee River Valley is 4 miles long, 1/2 mile wide and its history runs deep. From wild rice marshes in the 1700s, to the site of the first trading post (c. 1795, Jacques Vieau, fur trader) to heavy manufacturing, the Menomonee Valley has been in continuous motion without ever moving an inch. And now, with the community working together to create a vibrant future for the Valley, it’s now home to thousands of jobs, entertainment experiences, nature, and outdoor exploration – including paddling!
*About Menomonee Valley Partners:
Menomonee Valley Partners, Inc. is a Section 501©(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to revitalize and sustain the Menomonee Valley as a thriving urban district that advances economical, ecological, and social equity for the benefit of the greater Milwaukee community.
We envision a thriving Valley with a well-balanced mix of industrial, recreational, and entertainment uses that strengthen Milwaukee:
* economically, with strong companies and jobs near workers’ homes;
* ecologically, with sustainable development and environmental stewardship;
* geographically, with renewed ties to surrounding neighborhoods; and
* equitably, with opportunities for all.